Respirators are highly recommended for hobbies like resin printing, painting, soldering, welding, and more. Supplied Air Respirators provide a higher factor of safety than half-mask cartridge respirators.
An official and certifiable 3M Supplied Air Respirator (SAR) system will start at $4,000 for the air compressor, 240V connection, airline filters, airline hose, regulating valve, breathing tube, and headpiece. This is the level of entry for a High-Pressure Supplied Air Respirator, but most systems in use today will be in the tens of thousands of dollars.
However, we can DIY a Low-Pressure Supplied Air Respirator for under $150. This is an initial investment, but it will be safer and cheaper long-term compared to cartridge respirators.
3M Headpiece - Headcover, Hood, or Helmet
The S-133S Headcover is recommended for most users
- The headpiece you choose will have air delivered to it using duct and a centrifugal inline fan.
- 3M PAPR and SAR Brochure
- 3M PAPR and SAR Compatibility Tree
- Headcover and Hood Sizing Chart
- Headpiece to Duct Adapter STL on Printables
Centrifugal Inline Blower Fan
A centrifugal fan can deliver more pressure than axial or mixed-flow
- The fan should be placed outside or connected to additional duct retrieving clean outdoor air.
- It is a best practice to use a MERV 13 or HEPA filter on the intake of the fan.
- Fan Filter Mount STL on Printables
4-inch Airline Polyethylene Duct
This lightweight duct can be used as an airline for dozens of feet
- This duct is 4mil in thickness, so it is easy to puncture and kink, but this lightweight duct is easy to maneuver. Thicker duct can be used but it will be more expensive.
- Vinyl duct is not recommended due to the weight being able to pull backwards on the headpiece.
- Fan-Duct Spacer STL on Printables
Ultimate Resin Guide - compare resin printers, resin material, and equipment
Preparing for Resin Printing - setting up an enclosure, heating, ventilation, filtration, and cleaning equipment
FDM Printers Guide - comparison table and top picks for filament printers
Resin Properties or Filament Properties - comparison table and top picks for materials
Disclaimer: You assume all responsibility and risk for the use of, but not limited to, the resources, advice, and opinions of 4D Filtration or its employees. 4D Filtration or its employees do not assume any liability or create any warranty for the use of any information. 4D Filtration may receive commissions for referral links. Prices are approximated for simplicity and they may fluctuate due to sales or markdowns. Amazon .com should refer you to your local amazon site if you are not in the United States; there is a chance Amazon's link redirect system will take you to a different product.