The Elegoo Mars 2 platform is one of the best small resin printers due to its affordability and reliability. The regular Mars 2 is the recommended choice since the price bump of the Mars 2 Pro does not bring any specifications or features that massively improve the printing experience.
Elegoo Mars 2
Mars 2 and Mars 2 Pro
- The Mars 2 and Mars 2 Pro have the same XY resolution of 0.05mm.
- Elegoo has a fairly reliable track record in terms of customer service, but it is difficult to escape spotty service until you exit the budget realm (Formlabs, Prusa etc). Thus, if you can order the printer on amazon, you will have the amazon delivery speed plus the return policy in the event something goes wrong.
Elegoo Mars 2
- The Mars 2 comes with a plastic vat, but this doesn't cause any printing issues. If you are concerned about the plastic, you can purchase a single Sovol vat for ≈$22 or two for ≈$40. Having a second or third vat allows you to swap colors and materials easier.
- The light intensity of the Mars 2 is 1.93 mW/cm2.
Elegoo Mars 2 Pro
- The Mars 2 Pro sports an extra 10mm of build height.
- The Pro also comes with an aluminum vat by default.
- The light intensity of the Mars 2 Pro is 1.99 mW/cm2.
- The 'air filter' on the Mars 2 Pro is 13.6 gram brick of compressed carbon that requires taking the entire printer apart to replace it (elegoo's video). Instead, you can download the print files for our P Mini air cleaner for free.
As you can tell, there are not too many differences between these printers since they largely consist of the same components under the hood. Your purchase decision will rely on the small feature differences and the purchase price in your location.
If we were buying multiple printers and had to choose between the two, every time we would go with the regular Mars 2. The cost savings on each printer accounts for a nice engineering resin like SuperPP and a spare vat.
Ultimate Resin Guide - compare resin printers, resin material, and equipment
Preparing for Resin Printing - setting up an enclosure, heating, ventilation, filtration, and cleaning equipment
FDM Printers Guide - comparison table and top picks for filament printers
Resin Properties or Filament Properties - comparison table and top picks for materials
Disclaimer: You assume all responsibility and risk for the use of, but not limited to, the resources, advice, and opinions of 4D Filtration or its employees. 4D Filtration or its employees do not assume any liability or create any warranty for the use of any information. 4D Filtration may receive commissions for referral links. Prices are approximated for simplicity and they may fluctuate due to sales or markdowns. Amazon .com should refer you to your local amazon site if you are not in the United States; there is a chance Amazon's link redirect system will take you to a different product.